Continuing its efforts to promote Inter-American Studies, the Association is announcing the fourth round of competitions for IAS Prizes. There are again two awards, one for the best master’s or doctoral or post-doctoral thesis and one for the best article or essay in Inter-American Studies completed since December 2018. Submitted work does not yet need to be in print to be considered. Only work in Spanish or in English can be submitted. Each award carries a cash prize of 300 euros or c/330 U.S. dollars.
Contestants who would like to have their work considered will need to join the association. If you would like to do so, please go to http://www.interamericanstudies.net/?page_id=26 (in English) or to http://www.interamericanstudies.net/?page_id=135 (in Spanish). Please be advised that members with student status may ask for their membership fees to be waived. To ask for a fee waiver, please contact our treasurer, Dr. Ulla Kriebernegg at email@example.com with proof of your student status.
1. To submit work to be considered for the award for best master’s, doctoral, or post-doctoral thesis completed since December 2018, please send your thesis as a WORD or PDF file as well as an abstract of one page or less to the three jury members:
- Francisco Lomeli (University of California, Santa Barbara, USA), Chair, at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Graciela Martínez-Zalce (Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México) at email@example.com
- Antonio Barrenechea (University of Mary Washington) at firstname.lastname@example.org
2. To submit work to be considered for the award for best academic article or essay completed/published since December 2018, please send your article or essay as a WORD or PDF file as well as an abstract of one page or less to the three jury members:
- Luz Angélica Kirschner (South Dakota State University), Chair at Luz.Kirschner@sdstate.edu
- Gabriele Pisarz-Ramirez (University of Leipzig, Germany) at mailto:email@example.com
- Emron Esplin (Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah, USA) at mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org
The deadline for submissions is May 15, 2020. Members of the IAS Executive Board and of the IAS Advisory Board are not eligible to participate in the prize competitions. The winners of both awards will be announced at the business meeting of the International Association of Inter-American Studies at the VI Biennial Conference of the IAS at Laredo, Texas, October 1, 2020. Award recipients who are not present at that meeting will receive their award and prize by mail.